Packing for a move is a ton of work. When you have many hard to pack items, it can make your process a lot longer. If you have houseplants, chances are that you want to take them with you to your new home. What is the best way to pack and transport your houseplants for your next move? Making sure they safely get where they need to be will make your plants happier and last longer:
Prepare the Plants
Houseplants are living and breathing creatures that require gentleness when moving around and packing. They will need preparation before packing them up. It would help if you prepared your plants up to three weeks before the move to make sure they are ready. Here are some ways to prepare the plants:
- You should re-pot your plants into plastic containers instead of their usual pots. Make sure you use sterilized soil.
- If needed, prune your plants around a week before moving so that you can get rid of any broken branches or dying pieces.
- Stop watering your plants around three days before your moving day.
- If you are moving to another state, consider getting a flea collar to put around the plants’ pots to ward off any pests that could be living in the plant.
Packing the Plants
After the preparation for moving your plants is done, it’s time to pack them. You should place a plastic bag over the top of the plant and be sure to tie it at the bottom of the pot. This will help keep the soil in the pot and keep the plant in place. After you wrap your plants in the bags:
- Try to put them in moving boxes standing upright. This will keep the plants secure in either your car or the moving vehicle.
- Fill any empty spots of the box with newspaper or bubble wrap to ensure the plant doesn’t slide in the box.
- If you close the box all the way, make sure you leave air holes and label the box so that movers will handle the box carefully.
Unpacking Your Plants
Once you get to your destination, make sure to unpack the plants as soon as possible and give them a good watering to revive them. We want to make sure your plants get acclimated to your new space and that you can enjoy your new home for years to come!
Contact MacDonald Moving Services
MacDonald Moving Services is here to make your packing and moving process a whole lot easier! Contact us to learn more about our services. Call us today or fill out our contact form to get in touch with our moving experts!