Let’s face it. Moving to a new home can be a very stressful. What many people don’t realize is that their pets can also feel the stress. Here are 8 tips to ensure the move goes smoothly for you and your pet.
- Make sure to have your pet(s) micro-chipped beforehand and that they are wearing the proper identification tags on their collar. Also keep all their documentations and vaccination records with you.
- Consult your vet to make sure your pet is okay to travel. Sometimes they even prescribe medication that can ease a pets’ tension.
- While the movers are working in and out of the home, keep pets secured somewhere quiet so that they don’t become startled over all the noise.
- It’s better if pets ride along with you in the car instead of traveling with strangers. If your pet isn’t used to riding in the car, acclimate them before moving by taking them on frequent car rides to the park or around town.
- Pack a travel bag for your pet(s) that contains food, water, toys, treats, a leash, bowls, a blanket, and any medications they need.
- If you are driving alone, keeping your pet in a crate might be a good idea. It will help you concentrate on driving in case they get restless and start jumping around the vehicle.
- For pets traveling by air, check airline regulations weeks beforehand as they are very strict and require specific crates. Also check with your vet to make sure your pets okay for flying.